After finishing some errands, I was pulling into a parking space outside my apartment. I heard a noise and wasn’t sure where it was coming from or what it was exactly. I turned off my radio and as I got out of my car, I turned my head toward the direction of the sound. There was a guy in the parking lot playing Taps on a set of bagpipes. I leaned against my car and just listened. I couldn’t help but smile as I watched him turn in a circle while playing. Many thoughts ran through my head such as “What prompted this? Does he do this often? What does the song mean to him?” As I started toward my door, I kept turning back toward the music. I leaned against the building and continued to listen before heading inside. A few minutes later, I sat outside to hear him finish. With the temps having gone down and a slight breeze, it was a perfect night to be outside. Once he was done, I put in the ear buds of my iPod and went for a walk around my complex. I figured some fresh air and exercise was a great way to cap off the day. I replayed the events of today in my head as various songs played in the background.
As I’ve gotten older, I’ve grown to appreciate the little things of life. Today, these included the following:
- Enjoying a day out of the office while taking part in professional development and meeting some people at another campus of our university.
- Letting the hardest decision of the day be which restaurant we should try for our girls lunch
- Taking a detour on the way home by driving through a prestigious neighborhood, frequently joking and repeating the phrase “Hmm, that sales price is just a hair off my budget…”
- Smiling after your best friend says “Oh yea, that’s the one….I approve” after showing her the house you want to buy
- Staying hopeful for love and relationships….especially when you’re fighting that twinge of envy
- Appreciating the support system of friends who help encourage and remind you to be patient as good things come to those who wait
I stumbled across this quote and thought it was a fitting way to end…..
May your thoughts be as glad as the shamrocks
May your heart be as light as a song
May each day bring you bright
Happy hours that stay with you allyear-long.